What I have observed is that for many of us there is a big commute between our creative work and the rest of our lives. As I have written in my blog, it is hard to maintain a sense of living wide-awake in a body when we are so tethered to the digital world and so often disconnected from vibrant, physical experiencing.
I developed Breaking into Blossom: Moving into an Improvisational Life as an online class because I wanted to offer some fresh ideas on how to close that gap from my perspective as an improvisational movement artist. It is designed to inspire you to become more daring, more visionary, more playful and improvisational in all aspects of your life.
I am now offering the materials that I developed for that class in a beautifully designed eBook that contains ten chapters integrating photographs, writing and movement prompts, guest artists and specific strategies to help you find a deeper creative engagement. Here are the materials that I cover:
- Change: Developing a vocabulary for making change from subtle to dramatic.
- Underscore: How to develop an intentional underscore for your day or for a project.
- Segments: How subtle shifts in activity and attention throughout the day can create greater focus and engagement.
- Play: From meandering to galumphing, how to foster a playful attitude and practice, including specific strategies for play-making.
- Practice: Discovering your meta-practice and how it can support your work and goals.
- Moving and Listening: Delicious strategies for engaging the senses and the body.
- Movement and Stillness: The power of attention and recuperation. How to develop a movement/stillness score in your work and play.
- Letting Go: Learning how to drop it (even if you are going to pick it up again).
- Flow: Observing and harnessing the interplay of improvisation and flow. How to cultivate a consummate creative state.
from Nicole Rushin
I have been truly graced by the presence of Paula Josa-Jones in my sphere of online influences. She created this e-book from a workshop she just offered and it is really amazing. It is fluid, it moves and it is beautiful. You will learn something about your body, movement and improvisation which we all need in this digital world. It is full of writing and journaling prompts and little ways to stop and focus or unfocus when tasks become stale. Paula has a wealth of experience in choreography and dance and now she brings her talents online. I love reading her posts everyday – but really enjoyed this e-book. The photography alone is stunning enough. There are some people who just make me want to be better at being me – and that is hard some days. I am also honored that she included one of my poems in her book (and I am not an affiliate) – I just think there are some online writers who deserve credit. And this is what Social Media is all about to me – sharing and connecting.
The cost is $12. You will receive the book as a pdf. You can order it here.